|.: History of Dadra and Nagar Haveli Police :.|
During the Portuguese time there was only one Police Station in Silvassa along-with three Out Posts, at Naroli, Dadra and Khanvel. The over-all In-charge of police of DNH was Chief of Police. The office of Chief of Police was in building, which was known as High Building. After liberation in 1954, the previous system continued till 1964. In the year 1965 one more Police Station was opened at Khanvel and in the same year third Police Station was also opened at Surangi.
This system continued till 1973. In that year the Surangi Police Station was abolished/made non-functional. Now there are two Police Station at Silvassa & Khanvel with 13 Out Posts and 06 Police Posts in the territory of DNH.
After liberation the post of Chief of Police, which was earlier filled by the officer of deputation from Gujarat, is being looked after by the officers from DANIPS cadre. One post of additional superintendent of Police has been created in the year 1996 and an officer of DANIPS cadre is functioning as Addl. S.P. since then.
The post of assistant Inspector General of Police was created in the year 1988 and was upgraded to the post of Deputy Inspector General of Police in the year 2005.
One post of Superintendent of Police for the UT of Dadra and Nagar Haveli was created in year 2007 and one IPS Officer is functioning as the S.P. DNH since November 2007.